Vastaa Viestiin

Geat Britain: Wales and London. Any resource that would list commercial businesses in early 1700s?

jvillemain
female
Sisääntulotila: Teksti
Selailu: Teksti
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.
One of my ancestors, Shildes Moore, had a business firm that sold gold and silver bullion in Wales, with a branch office in London, until 1732, when the two partners, Moore and his brother-in-law Risdon (no first name) emigrated to America and settled in the city of Baltimore. If the firm was large enough to open a branch office in London, I am supposing the original firm must have been in Cardiff or Swansea. Shildes Moore was born in 1700 in Wales (no city is mentioned), so the firm must have existed for a few to several years prior to 1732.
Are there any historical/genealogical documents that would have record of such a commercial business in Cardiff or London? What genealogical resources can I search at online sites or in person when I visit England and Wales in September?

I would also like to try to find birth and marriage records for Shildes Moore and his second wife Blandana Risdon.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated! jvillemain
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
For your first question, I would turn to Cyndi's list to see what resources are available. It looks like Ancestry ($$$) has UK directories for that time period, but poke around the site as there may be other resources. Directories were fairly rare in 1732 and only became common 100 years later.
https://www.cyndislist.com/uk/general/directories/

Regarding birth and mariage records, please provide all available details including what searches you have already done that were dead ends.
jvillemain
female
Sisääntulotila: Teksti
Thank you for your reply with suggestions! I am looking through Cyndi's List as you mentioned and will later check records in Baltimore, MD, USA for possible marriage and birth of children. Sincerely, JVillemain
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “United Kingdom”