Vastaa Viestiin

A general and a doctor?

If you look for old pictures or need help identifying old pictures then post your question here.
sblucia
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

A general and a doctor?

Viesti Kirjoittaja sblucia »

Hi! So I have these two old pictures of these two French men of Barberousse surname.

Guy with white wig: It's said he was a doctor at Napoleon's court. What types of men wore these wigs? Could it really mean he had a good position?

The other one a general or lieutenant in the French army. Does anyone know if the item on his jacket means anything?

Thanks!
Liitteet
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0720.jpg
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator

Re: A general and a doctor?

Viesti Kirjoittaja zanzigirl »

Hello,

The wig and the outfit look typically 18th century, this man may be a bourgeois.

As for the second man, it may be the Legion of Honour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honour

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
sblucia
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

Re: A general and a doctor?

Viesti Kirjoittaja sblucia »

Thanks Claudine! I think it could be a Legion of Honour indeed. Zooming into the picture I can see the shape more clearly, including the shape of the a crown on top and it looks like a circular shape on the ribbon. The ranks most likely are:

Chevalier (knight): badge worn on left breast suspended from ribbon
Officier (Officer): badge worn on left breast suspended from a ribbon with a rosette

And the medal looks a lot like the photo below:
Louis XVIII era (1814) Knight insignia: the front features Henry IV's profile and the rear, the arms of the French Kingdom (three fleurs-de-lis). A royal crown joins the cross and the ribbon.

I looked into the archives (http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/documentation/leonore/NOMS/nom_00.htm) for the Barberousse surname and only 3 people appear. Could it be Louis Francois?

I find it interesting too on Etienne Marie Frédéric Barberousse's record is says something about medic, but I doubt it's him as it looks too late in the years. I wish I could find more about the man in the wig, if he was really a medic.
Liitteet
legionduhonor.jpg
1244px-Chevalier-legion-dhonneur-LouisXVIII-1814.jpg
FRDAFAN83_OL0107061v001_L.jpg
FRDAFAN83_OL0107062v001_L.jpg
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Old Pictures”