Gallegos 1818

seruzier
seruzier
Sisääntulotila: Teksti
Selailu: Teksti
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

Gallegos 1818

Viesti Kirjoittaja seruzier »

Sorry for my lack of Spanish Language…! We are searching for the Birth of Juan GALLEGOS in 1818 in San Sebastian, Asturias.

Juan moved to Australia in the 1840s and died in 1868 in Armidale, NSW, Australia.

His mother is said to be Ynes GARCIA FUENTE.

More info on:
https://gw.geneanet.org/seruzier_w?lang=fr&pz=gregoire+louis+dino&nz=seruzier&p=john&n=gallegos

Anyone in San Sebastian willing to help us on this case? Muchas Gracias!
Many thanks for your help.

Chris Séruzier
[email protected]
noesabel
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen

Re: Gallegos 1818

Viesti Kirjoittaja noesabel »

Hi!
Are you sure that you are looking for the right San Sebastián? You said San Sebastian, Asturias and the San Sebastian pictures in your page are fron San Sebastian, Pais Vasco (The place where I live) and in Family Search is the file of a John Gallegos born in the same date and migrated to Australia born in San Sebastian de Los Reyes, Madrid.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LHHQ-Q6K
seruzier
seruzier

Hi, Noesabel,
This is where the main mystery lies!
We are NOT sure of the right San Sebastian... My guess could be a mistake! I put a message on the Foro Donostia-San Sebastian, and also tried to get answers from San Sebastian de Los Reyes...
My Spanish being very poor, I can't open the Archivo in these place... And we have to eliminate the wrong San Sebastian.

One answer could be on the Sources of this page:
https://gw.geneanet.org/bmuckleston?lang=es&n=gallegos&oc=&p=juan+garcia
Brian Muckleston never answered our queries, AND I am not prosperous enough to warranty an ANCESTRY subscription!
He mentions Juan GALLEGOS birth is in San Sebastian, Santander Province, Cantabria, which is even more puzzling...
Would you have an ANCESTRY subscription to verify the many Eventos on Brian Muckleston page???
Anyway, muchas Gracias for your interest in this puzzle!
One thing we know: Juan-John GALLEGOS was a master horseman in Australia, he must have mastered this skill in Spain... Where?
At your service, Noesabel, many thanks again!
Chris
[email protected]
astanalyk107
male

Viesti Kirjoittaja astanalyk107 »

I think that is San Sebastián de Garabandal, a little village in Cantabria (that in your paper appears with the name "Santander Province"
A wikipedia link with information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Sebasti%C3%A1n_de_Garabandal
astanalyk107
male

Viesti Kirjoittaja astanalyk107 »

Another option is that the register at arrival put "San Sebastian" (Madrid or Basque country, place of birth) and Santander ( port of embarking on the ship to Australia)
seruzier
seruzier

Excellent suggestions, astanalyk107,
I will follow them and report later!

Thank you so much for your interest and your help!
Best wishes.

Christian Séruzier
noesabel
female

seruzier kirjoitti: 21 Syyskuu 2021, 11:42 Hi, Noesabel,
This is where the main mystery lies!
We are NOT sure of the right San Sebastian... My guess could be a mistake! I put a message on the Foro Donostia-San Sebastian, and also tried to get answers from San Sebastian de Los Reyes...
My Spanish being very poor, I can't open the Archivo in these place... And we have to eliminate the wrong San Sebastian.

One answer could be on the Sources of this page:
https://gw.geneanet.org/bmuckleston?lang=es&n=gallegos&oc=&p=juan+garcia
Brian Muckleston never answered our queries, AND I am not prosperous enough to warranty an ANCESTRY subscription!
He mentions Juan GALLEGOS birth is in San Sebastian, Santander Province, Cantabria, which is even more puzzling...
Would you have an ANCESTRY subscription to verify the many Eventos on Brian Muckleston page???
Anyway, muchas Gracias for your interest in this puzzle!
One thing we know: Juan-John GALLEGOS was a master horseman in Australia, he must have mastered this skill in Spain... Where?
At your service, Noesabel, many thanks again!
Chris
[email protected]
Hi, Chris!
I´ve done some research and you can discard San Sebastian, Pais Vasco from your search. There is nobody with the surname Gallegos born in the whole Pais Vasco in that years (searched from 1815 to 1825)
I don´t have the Ancestry suscripcion either (beacuse they don´t have the Spanish archives that I´m looking for) but I´ve been browsing through Brian Muckletson´s info. Let´s see,

He said that Juan Gallegos was born in San Sebastian-Cantabria, San Sebastian-Asturias and San Sebastian (de los Reyes) Madrid based in his Ancestry search.
If you read his data, the Asturian born place says "Record for Juan Garcia Gallegos" and in Spain we use two surnames and its not the same "Juan Garcia Gallegos" that "Juan Gallegos Garcia"

Astanalyk107 could be right with the cantabrian suggestion but San Sebastian as a name for a place is pretty common in Spain. There´s San Sebastian de la Gomera in Canary Islands

About the Asturian San Sebastian. Its a village in the center of Asturias and that´s interesting because it´s not far from "Gallegos"
Yes, Gallegos is an actual place in Asturias and between San Sebastian de Morcin and Gallegos are only 35 Km.

Do you have any record of your Juan Gallegos?

Regards, Noelia.
seruzier
seruzier

Noelia,
Many thanks for your efforts!
This quest seems endless!
My first choice of Donostia, Vasco, has never given any result, and I agree with you. No Gallegos there at the time.

Agreed also the Garcia Gallegos thread... Does it lead us to Cantabria?
De Los Reyes was cited in various genealogies on Ancestry and elsewhere, but I wasn't able to check the Archivios there... My Spanish is extremely poor (though getting better everyday with this research!)
Same for San Sebastian de Morcin, which would look like a LOGICAL choice, don't you think?

Juan John was a horse master in the early forties, He would have mastered the art in a horse environment... Morcin?
As to my records for Juan John, I'll refer you to my page:
https://gw.geneanet.org/seruzier_w?lang=fr&pz=gregoire+louis+dino&nz=seruzier&p=john+juan&n=gallegos
Check Photos & Documents.
He's become quite transparent from 1841 on, married in 1848 with an English girl, had 12 or 13 children (extensively documented in my data) and died in 1868...
Arrived in Port Macquarie abord the Lucy Ann in February 1841 accompanied by 3 Spanish guys, convicts or not we can't really say.
No trace of any Gallegos convicts in Australia.
As to his passage to Australia, no official record!
Could have been aboard a French submarine, after all.................

Muchas Gracias for your great help, Noelia!
The search is still on.

Chris
noesabel
female

Hi, Chris!
Now I´m searching through historical spanish press. There are news about four Juan Gallegos.

--The first one is from a 1828 Cadiz´s (Andalucia) newspaper.
It´s a court Appointment for Juan Gallegos, Francisco de Paula Manzanero and Francisco Pizarro accused of theft and giving them 10 days to appear.
In Cadiz, the San Sebastian´s Castle was a prision then.

--The second is from a 1840 in Sevilla (Andalucia again)
There´s a Juan Gallegos mentioned building a house in Carmona, Sevilla.
There´s a parish church in Sevilla dedicated to San Sebastian.

--The third one, 1842 and Madrigalejo (Extremadura)
A Juan Gallegos buying a estate in Madrigalejo.

--The last one in 1842 and Palencia.
Juan Gallegos is a soldier from Paredes de Nava, Palencia.
San Sebastian is the patron saint of Paredes de Nava and also there´s a neighborhood in Paredes de Nava called San Sebastian.

About the horses, it´s difficult to guess beacause the horses were the basic method to travel and work then. I´m thinking a rural enviroment but Andalucia has a long tradition in horse mastering.

Have you tried with your DNA?
I hope this info help in your search!
Saludos: Noelia.
seruzier
seruzier

Hi Noelia!
Amazing work!
Gracias!
You'll agree that we can eliminate events AFTER 1840, as first mention of our Juan-John is in 1841: arrival in Port Macquarie (NSW, Aust) on board Lucy Ann.
He is immediately given a master horseman job at Archibald Clunes Innes' property there...

As to your mention of a 1828 'incident' in Cadiz, I'd like to retain this as plausible... Gallegos as a thief is quite a possibility! His further life if laden with such incidents with the law in NSW!
But what to make of 1828? He was supposed to be born 1815-1818, he's still a young boy... And could he then have been a convict a few years later and sent to Australia?
Historically, did the English rule aprt of Andalucia between say, 1818 and 1840 ?
I know of the Carlist events, but Andalucia?

Anyway, I value highly your contribution, Noelia! Gracias again!
Best wishes.
Chris
seruzier
seruzier

Puzzled and greatly interested in this finding of yours:

--The last one in 1842 and Palencia.
Juan Gallegos is a soldier from Paredes de Nava, Palencia.
San Sebastian is the patron saint of Paredes de Nava and also there´s a neighborhood in Paredes de Nava called San Sebastian.

Been trying to reach any kind of Archivos for Paredes de Nava, but without success... Any clue?

Very much interested in Castille & Leon, as we find there many Gallego, Garcia and Fuente... According to one or two researchers, Juan John's mother would be Ynes Garcia Fuente, born 1775 (https://gw.geneanet.org/bmuckleston?lang=es&p=ynes+garcia&n=fuente)

Muchas gracias, once again, Noelia!
Un saludo.

Chris
noesabel
female

Hi, Chris! I just send you an email.
Vastaa Viestiin