Vastaa Viestiin

DnA testing

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
rhondarowe28
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

DnA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja rhondarowe28 »

I am searching for my father's biological parents. He was adopted. I (female) have done DNA test. Would it be possible to find any matches on my father's side without a male DNA test?
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Selailu: Teksti

Re: DnA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja ericdubois »

Yes. Most of the DNA used for matching comes from autosomal chromosomes. So there is very little difference for your search.

Ideally, you should test your father (if he is still alive) since he is closer to the ancestors you search. Testing your siblings would increase your chances of finding a matching cousin, as they inherited some DNA segments from your father that you did not. Testing your mother would allow you to "phase" your DNA (and your siblings' DNA) to identify which segments came from you father and which came from your mother.

Of course, each additional test would add costs with no guarantee of results.

Eric
rhondarowe28
female
Selailu: Graafinen

Re: DnA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja rhondarowe28 »

Thank you so very much. My father passed in 2019, but I got his mouth swabs tested and company said they couldn't get any quality dna from them. I have hundreds of matches from my mother's side. We know nothing about his biological family (only speculation); so without even a name I am at a loss. I have been trying to get my brother to test. Thank you.
p.s. It was a sealed adoption...I petitioned the court to open records, but they denied it.
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”