Vastaa Viestiin

Di Prima or Prima family information

jasonskitty
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.
For many years now I have been dealing with a brick wall when it comes to the Italian side of my family. I have looked everywhere I can think of and had very little luck when it comes to finding new information. I am hoping someone out there is able to help me and or give me some direction.

My Great Grandfather was named Luigi Prima (possibly DiPrima).

He was born on 7 Jun 1882 in Brindissi, Apulia, Italy. (This is the information he put on his naturalization paperwork)

He left Italy in 1906 from Naples, arriving in New York, Ny in May 1906. He went through Ellis Island.

He lived in New York for a small amount of time, and by 1911 he was living in California. First in San Diego, Then the Bay area, and in 1927 he moved to Sacramento,Ca. He lived there until he died some years later.

He was married at least 4 times that I know of, and had a relationship with my Great Grandmother for 10 years, but never married her.

He only had one child that I can confirm, which is my grandmother. She was born in 1935 in Sacramento,Ca. I suspect he may have had a son as well, however, I can not prove that with the little information that I have so far.

My Great Grandmothers name was Georgina, like I said they were never married, but lived together for about 10 years or so. His wives names were Edith, Mary, Angelina, and Antonia. He divorced Edith in 1925, Mary and Angelina both died without having any children with him, and he was married to Antonia when he died in 1966.

After he and Georgina split up in 1937, Georgina took my grandmother with her, remarried and her new husband adopted my grandmother and raised her as his own. She has no contact with her father after about the age of 8 years old or so. I am not exactly why this happened as there was an ongoing custody dispute up until that point. The last court date they had awarded custody to her father and then for some reason she ended up being adopted shortly there after and never saw him again.

He passed away on 15 Aug 1966 in Sacramento,Ca. According to his death certificate, his parents names were Ignazio Prima and Luzia Calizia. The names, especially his mothers could very well be spelled wrong, I find that happened often when it came to vital records in Sacramento prior to 1970 or so.

That is all I know. I can not find anything about his life in Italy, or his parents. I suspect at least one of them was not born in Italy, however, I am assuming they either moved there or one of them relocated to be with the other based on the name and where my great grandfather stated he was born.

If by some small chance there is someone out there that has the LAst name Prima or Calizia, or has these names within their tree and think they could possibly help me, I would be very grateful and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I really am out of ideas at this point and aside from actually going to Italy and researching my family, I am not sure of where else to turn.

Thank you for your time,
Jennifer
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Selailu: Teksti
The registers for Brinsisi (one S) are available on FamilySearch. Unfortunately, they are only accessible from one of their family history centers or affiliate libraries (which are plentiful). This wouldn't be much of an issue except most of those centers are currently closed because of the pandemic. I suggest contacting the center nearest you to see what your options are.

Once you have access to these registers, you should be able to climb 3 generations fairly easily.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=112442&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Italy%2C%20Brindisi%2C%20Brindisi%22&subjectsOpen=672273-50
jasonskitty
female
Selailu: Graafinen
That is exactly the problem...the pandemic is making my life harder than I would like to admit on every level including my family tree research!! HA HA HA!!

I was aware that they have the birth records for the area, but I can not get in there as of now so I thought I would try a couple of other avenues while I wait for everything to become accessible again.

I do appreciate your help and direction though, and I intend to look into it as soon as it is once again available to me. Hope you are having a nice day and Thanks again!!

-Jennifer
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Selailu: Teksti
I was wondering whether it's the LDS computers only that can access the restricted data or any computer on their network. If it's the latter, one could imagine connecting to the wifi network from the parking lot, in a socially distanced way. Although it's way too cold to even consider that now.

But yes, the pandemic is really dragging on and hindering just about anything we want to do. Except for my yard... it's been better maintained this past year than ever before!

~Eric
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Italy”