Vastaa Viestiin

Records Concerning French Military Service

Discussions regarding the occupation of our ancestors.
coaimhin
male
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.
I'm looking for information about a 3rd great-grandfather, Charles Remi Regnault (b. 16 APR 1779, Sarrebourg, Moselle, France; d. 16 NOV 1848, Schwoben, Haut-Rhin, France), especially more information about his military service. He was a "lieutenant douanes impériales," and at least one of his children was born in Liesberg, Switzerland (Charles Fridolin Antoine Regnault, b. 1817), so perhaps he was stationed there.

The military resources I can find either do not pertain to this specific time period, or to this location.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
mikeright
mikeright
Sisääntulotila: Teksti
Selailu: Teksti
Hello.
Military research before 1870 is difficult, the first step is not online.
Born 1779 —-> Recrutment 1799 where he lives.
If he was living in Sarrebourg in 1799, it was in Meurthe department (54). Chief-town Nancy.
Today Sarrebourg is in Moselle department (57), but these registers cannot be separated (staying in Nancy).
—-> Archives of actually department Meurthe-et-Moselle (54) at Nancy : http://archives.meurthe-et-moselle.fr/sites/default/files/Contenu/Fichier/1_R_ir.pdf
3E4CDD53-BE48-4D9E-A044-477DAC6ADF74.jpeg
Mike.
olaf8514
female
Hello,

If he was a customs officer, you can ask the National Customs Museum to see if he is on their records:

http://www.musee-douanes.fr/documentation/prestations-de-recherche/145-recherche-genealogique.html

Good luck!
ladychrissieofdunan
female
Hi , I managed to find my husband great grandfathers military service easily in France I had a lot of help from the French forums , and found his service record and a lot more . Please ask the French forum as they are fab at giving help .
ladychrissieofdunan
female
Hi found records from the 1870s in aveyron from military etc . as the record keeping in France is great . Compared to the uk . And help was always on hand .
ladychrissieofdunan
female
Try asking the question in French as I used Google translate to help as my French isn’t the best . And I was amazed at the response .
wdemaesschalck
male
In France, customs are and were civilians attached to the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
They have no connection with the military.
The title of "lieutenant douanes impériales," refers to his "chief" Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte.
Switzerland retained its independence thanks to Napoleon (he needed a buffer against his Eastern enemies : Russia, Austria...). Liesberg (CH) is 4 miles from the French border (almost the same as today). So it’s quite plausible to assume that Charles Remi Regnault lived in the Basel area as a customs officer and, after Napoleon lost the war, went or continued to live in Switzerland.

William
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Occupations”