Vastaa Viestiin

Vouk or Volk-origin/meaning

Discussions regarding the origin and the meanings of names.
lhweyer7
female
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Graafinen
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

Vouk or Volk-origin/meaning

Viesti Kirjoittaja lhweyer7 »

Hi!
Looking for the meaning of the name Vouk or Volk. Also, my family name is listed as Vouk until my great grandmother, her mother listed her as Volk. Any idea of why someone would do that as the entire family was living in Buje, Slovenia. She was illegitimate, but it just seems strange that she is the only one in the tree that I can find so far.

Thank you for any input!

Lori
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Sisääntulotila: Graafinen
Selailu: Teksti
Tarkastele heidän sukupuutaan.

Re: Vouk or Volk-origin/meaning

Viesti Kirjoittaja ericdubois »

Volk means people in German (Volkswagen = People's car). There might be other meanings.
jabolko
male

Re: Vouk or Volk-origin/meaning

Viesti Kirjoittaja jabolko »

lhweyer7 kirjoitti: 07 Kesäkuu 2020, 21:53 Hi!
Looking for the meaning of the name Vouk or Volk. Also, my family name is listed as Vouk until my great grandmother, her mother listed her as Volk. Any idea of why someone would do that as the entire family was living in Buje, Slovenia. She was illegitimate, but it just seems strange that she is the only one in the tree that I can find so far.

Thank you for any input!

Lori
In Slovenian language "volk" (= "wolf" in English) is pronounced vôu̯k. That's the reason both versions exist as surname in Slovenia. In past centuries they didn't pay so much attention to the writing of surnames as we do nowadays.
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Origin of Names”